The Hefner Company, Inc. was formed in December of 1919 by the late Robert A. Hefner (1874-1971). He was one of the first oil and gas attorneys in Oklahoma and has been credited for bringing to Oklahoma the concept of buying and selling sub-surface mineral rights independently from surface land ownership. Originally the deed he created was known as the Hefner Mineral Grant Form and was used verbatim in the early decades of the 20th Century.
Hefner's career included serving as President of the School Board of Ardmore, Oklahoma before becoming the town's mayor. He moved to Oklahoma City upon being elected to the Oklahoma State Supreme Court. He closed his long civic career at the age of 73 when he completed two terms as Mayor of Oklahoma City. In his honor, Lake Hefner, Hefner Road, and Hefner Middle School were named for him. He was named to the Oklahoma Hall of Fame in 1949. His home was maintained as a museum by the Oklahoma Heritage Association for more than 30 years.